Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Towards The End Part One


11.03.2011 must have been the scariest day of my life. When I first went to Japan I didn’t expect anything that scary to happen. Before that day the only thoughts I had of death were when I was bullied and wanted to die. Some people might think that I’m exaggerating when I say this, but I think I came close to death.

I was at school in the JEC room with Chayse and Bill. Max had gone to the shopping mall near our school to buy a birthday gift for his girlfriend. School had ended so we were just hanging out the three of us. I was watching Chayse play with his computer when the earth started to shake. I thought that it was just another one of those earthquakes that we had about every month. ”Fuck me hard, not again” I said. Then the earth started shaking like never before. I stood up as quickly as I could and me and Chayse went under our desk. I yelled to Chayse to save his macbook. We sat under our desks, but bill was at the doorway. We told him to go under the desk in case the door falls on him. He of course didn’t listen to us. I was crying and hysteric, I felt like the world was going to end. 
Chayse was trying to calm me down buy saying ”It’s gonna be alright, calm down” but I yelled back to him ”It’s not going to be alright!”. I was so afraid. When the 6 minute earthquake finally calmed a little bit, one of our teachers came to the room and saw us sitting under our desks and told us to go outside immediately. I was in shock and I couldn’t move properly. Chayse and the teacher held my hands the entire time. When we stepped outside the building I saw the damage the earthquake had done. I started to panic even more. We went to the tennis court that was right in the middle of the entire school grounds, it was a safe place. Bill went to hang out with his classmates, but Chayse stayed with me the whole time. He held my had and tried to make me calm down so I would stop crying. He made jokes about the Chinese guy and everything and I laughed occasionally. Every foreign teacher came to me and tried to comfort me. They were worried about me. My Chinese teacher told me that we were lucky to be in Japan, and that if we were in China we would be already dead.
I looked to my right and saw this Japanese girl staring at me. She turned around and said something to Tsitika who immediately came us. She was trying to calm me down. Then suddenly I remembered Ayano, Rika and Max. They weren’t at school so where were they? Were they alive? Ayano had gone for a ride with his boyfriend. Rika had graduated so she wasn’t at school anymore. And Max... Had he ever made it to the shopping mall?
I cried and told Chayse to contact them all to make sure they were all okay. Tsitika lent her phone to me so I could text my mother to tell her what happened. I send a text to her saying ”There was a big earthquake and now I’m panicking”. I personally think that I should have probably written more so that she would have known that I was alright.
I was still crying but this time I was crying because I didn’t know where my friends were. I didn’t know what to do. This one Japanese boy that I had never really talked to came to see if I was okay. He seemed to be just fine. Actually all the boys seemed to be okay with the fact that we had been hit by a massive earthquake. 
After a while the teachers told us to go to the third floor of the west wing. Chayse and Tsitika held my hands the entire time we were walking there. I was so worried about Max at that point. We got a message from Ayano that she was in the car when the earthquake happened and that she was okay. We didn’t hear anything about Rika. And still no word from Max. When we got to the third floor all the new Chinese students saw me crying. Every single one of them came to ask me if I was ok, and I told them that I wasn’t okay, I was scared and I wouldn’t lie about that. All the boys of the Chinese class came to me and comforted me. They were all saying that it was going to be alright. And Chayse was once again telling me his jokes to make me laugh. Chayse stayed with me the whole time. Everyone else wondered around but he stayed with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment