Saturday, January 21, 2012

Towards The End Part Seven


Then my host mother came. I was totally prepared to tell her that I wasn’t going anywhere. I was going to tell her that I needed to stay with my friends, my people. I wasn’t going to let her take me away to her home and make me stay there alone. But she was one step ahead of me. She went to talk to one of the teachers and asked him how long could I stay. The teacher said that I could stay as long as I wanted since there was room and food for all of us. I was totally shocked, I didn’t know what to say. I wasn’t expecting that she would let me go. She told me that she had brought some clothes for me and of course my beloved make up as well. I said good bye to her and Karin the dog and I watched as she drove away. I was just so happy that she had left me there. I spent some awesome time with my friends thanks to her. I think I must thank her for this someday.

At one point one of the Chinese teachers called Jackie from our school came to visit us and we were incredibly to see him. It was a bit embarrassing though because Tsitika was washing my back at the moment. He was one of my favorite teachers at my school. He came to the dormitory by bike. Soon after him one of our Japanese teachers came to visit us. It was kind of weird since I had always thought that he hated me. We even made jokes about him throwing me from wall to wall because I didn’t know a kanji. Of course that never really happened. It was awesome that everybody wanted to come and see that we were okay. I’m not sure if I understood it right, but I think that the teachers were going to have a meeting or something. We told our Chinese teacher to bring us some board games because we were already bored of the card games.

We were just casually laughing and having fun as always. I even taught Chayse how to say "I’m sexy" in Chinese and when Zou came to the room he said that to him and Zou said back to him ”I know you so sexy” with awesome hand gestures. We were all laughing so hard. 
Suddenly one of our teachers bursted into the room and yelled that there was a tsunami coming and that we needed to go somewhere high. We foreigners of course thought that we needed to go up to the second floor. The teacher followed us and yelled ”What are you doing there!? Get down here now!” I grabbed my bag. I wasn’t going to leave it. At first we were just walking fast all together. Our Chinese teacher rode with his bike and waved to us as he passed, but soon after him another one of our Japanese teachers passed by with her bike. Se was holding a rice cooker while she rode her bike. 
I looked in front of me and saw that the Chinese boys were all running. Chayse, Bill and Tsitika ran too. I was a really slow runner so I fell behind, but when my friends saw that they lowered their speed so I could catch up with them. I really thought that the tsunami was going to be there any minute now. 
We got to the boys dormitory and we went to the third floor. We climbed out to the roof from a small, high up window which was really hard for me since I wasn’t as light and small as everybody else. Chayse and Tsitika helped me though so I was fine. Somehow everybody looked terrified. I tried to see if there was a tsunami coming, but I couldn’t see past nakanosakae. I noticed that the boys from the track and field team were there on the roof with us so I had to go and ask if one of my classmates was somewhere there with them. The boys told me that he was at Tokyo. I was so relieved because that meant that he didn’t have to go through all that.

It was really warm again and the sun was brighter than ever. We were just hanging there on the roof and Chayse was making sure we had something on our heads so that we didn’t get a sunstroke. I remembered that I had brought my book with me there so I gave it to Tsitika and she said that she could read it to us. We sat Tsitika in the middle, me on her left and Chayse on her right side. There we sat just the three of us listening to Tsitika tell us the story of Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban. 

At one point we saw everybody doing something with their phones. We realized that they got reception. We were all shocked. We could finally call our parents to tell them that we were safe and sound. I saw Zou talking to his mother. I saw happiness in his eyes, and Bais too. It was a beautiful moment. Everybody got to talk to their families. I didn’t even dare to ask anybody to lend me their phone to call mine since I thought it was more important that the others got to call their families. After a while we realized that there really wasn’t a tsunami coming. Well maybe there was but at least not there. We started walking back to our dormitory. This time we just walked with no hurry at all, it was like we had all the time in the world. We went back to our room, back to playing cards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment