Thursday, January 5, 2012

Towards The End Part Two


We were sitting with Chayse and all of the sudden Max just ran into the classroom. I bursted into tears again. He came and hugged me. It was the first time he had treated me like that. At that moment I felt like he was my real big brother. The four of us stuck together. We were a family after all. No one can probably understand the bond that we share. We were far from our real families and we all understood each other better than anyone. Ayano and Rika too, even though they weren’t exchange students, they were far away from their homes as well. Our host families changed and some of us had to stay at the dorms, but our group never changed. 
We just sat there in one of the classrooms on the third floor of the west wing. The earth started to shake about every five minutes. Sometimes the earthquakes were small and sometimes they were bigger. It was hard watching all those girls there crying and screaming. They were afraid, just like I was. My own classmates were there too and this one cheerleader who was always happy. I never saw her sad or anything but this time she was crying her heart out. 
I saw Zou and he told me that he was doing a test at the moment when the earthquake hit. He was really pissed, he said it was because he thought that he did well on that test and now he would have to redo it. 
Some of the teachers came to the class and told us that it would be better if we stayed under the desks just in case. So we did what we were told. I had calmed down at that point and I couldn’t cry anymore. It was like I had used up all of my tears. We sat together on the floor the four of us. We were mostly making jokes. We even took pictures of us sitting under the desks. But then the worst thing happened, my host mother appeared. She was soaking wet for it was snowing outside. She came and hugged me and told me that we should go home. I felt like she was trying to take me away from my family. I tried to make up excuses not to go with her. I said that if I was to stay alone at the house, I would rather stay at the school. She said that she would not leave me alone. I had to go with her. I hugged all of my friends and said my goodbyes.
We were driving towards home and the streets were crowded. It was like the rush hour in Tokyo only worse. My host mother opened the radio and I could understand the woman saying ”Do not under any circumstances go near tall buildings” then she said something about a tsunami. I got a text from my real mother she told me to tell her what was happening and that she had heard that there was a tsunami coming. She said that ”don’t keep me in panic for nothing”. I tried to send her a text back over a thousand times but it wouldn’t go through. I was panicking again. We took a shortcut that went near my school and we saw that the streets were flooding. We couldn’t go any further. It was the worst thing I had ever seen. We tried to drive through a rice field but for nothing, the water was too high.
When we finally got home I ran into my room and saw that all my things were on the floor. I was in shock. I quickly gathered some stuff and put them in my school bag. Only things that I really needed like warm clothes and my ipod, laptop. I had some cookies that I had bought from disneyland so I packed them with me in case we wouldn’t get any food. The earth started shaking again, and this time again it was really bad. My host mom screamed my name and I run downstairs and straight outside without my shoes on. I saw men carrying boats outside. I started to wonder what was happening. Then I saw the river next to our house. The water had reached already to the streets and people were abandoning their houses and heading towards something. I didn’t really know what was going on.
My host mother said that she had to go to her office and that she would be back soon. I seriously freaked out at that point. I said to her that if she was going to leave me alone I would have rather stayed at school but she obviously ignored what I had said. I was more afraid than ever. I started panicking and crying when another earthquake hit. It was even scarier now that I was alone.

2 comments:

  1. Vitsi oikeesti pelottavaa, mä oisin varmaa nyt joku mielisairas jos toi ois tapahtunu mulle. Sä oot kyl tosi rohkee ja vahva ku sulle ei oo tapahtunu niinku mitään tollasta, oot aina tosi iloinen ja jaksat hymyillä.

    ReplyDelete